It is all too easy to get caught up in the pursuit of career, work, hobbies, even obsessive about cleaning or just ‘stuff’ in general. The downside of all of this, is that we miss those who are really the most important to us, those who we can be pretty confident will be there as we take our last breath.
A six year study by the University of California proves that loneliness predicts death, From the 1600 elderly who died, 23% had no-one who came to visit them.
There are 6 key reasons why spending time with family is important :
- Builds Self Esteem – for our children
- Creates Bonds – helping overcome challenging situations
- Nurtures Positive Behaviours – especially in teenage years
- Creates Memories – a shared reflection on a day can enhance memories
- Healthy Lifestyle – dining together generally leads to more nutritious meals
- Relieves Stress – chatting things through – a problem shared is a problem halved.
I use a very simple ‘time analysis sheet’ with clients (email me if you want it), to help track where their time is spend each day. This can point out some very obvious trends, which usually, to the individual, are so obvious, they cannot be seen. After completion over a week, and reflection upon it, our clients reflect on where how their week looked, and align this with their true priorities.
Incredibly after a few weeks, the way in which clients gradually changes, enabling then to start moving towards how they really want their lives to look. Then we can start looking at how their financial plans need to be modified to adapt to this new life.